A Chat with Dr. Rodney Sappington: leader in AI/machine learning-driven technologies in pharma R&D and drug discovery, advanced manufacturing of nano materials, and the development and deployment of algorithms into diagnostic systems ; past CEO of Epic Advanced Materials
This week, Stephen Ibaraki has an exclusive interview with Dr. Rodney Sappington.
Dr. Rodney Sappington has over 20 years of scientific and technical experience across AI/machine learning-driven technologies in pharma R&D and drug discovery, advanced manufacturing of nano materials, and the development and deployment of algorithms into diagnostic systems using deep learning for early detection of high mortality cancers. His experience is a rare combination of tech and deep tech for high impact across nanotechnology, clinical research, healthcare, and pharma.
He has led world-class teams, founded, and built companies, built AI/machine learning and software systems at scale, and has developed novel advanced manufacturing platforms for the optimization of nanomaterials for a range of applications in clean water and zero gravity among others.
He is formerly CEO of Epic Advanced Materials where he built the company from ground level up and designed machine learning and analytics synthesis of nano structures. His current work focuses on AI-driven quantum level approaches to optimizing nano and molecular discovery and development.
He has given presentations at the White House and at the Carter Center and has presented widely in the US and EU. He is an advocate for green technologies and green applications of deep tech nanomaterial development for environmental betterment.
Features of his background include:
- AI-driven nanomaterial advanced manufacturing for aerospace, hypersonic, space-related zero gravity testing, composites and thermal fluids application
- Machine learning and computer vision applications for in situ QA and automated synthesis processes.
- AI/machine learning in high-dimensional data that includes computational diagnostic imaging, PET-CT, CT, MRI.
- MDA Principal Investigator for Machine Learning Driven - Novel Additively Manufactured Composite External Hypersonics development.
- Machine learning for Design of Experiments for nanomaterial and ceramic composite optimization for extreme environments
- NASA zero-gravity testing of pre-ceramics and 3-D printing capabilities for terrestrial applications
- Machine learning development across 26 countries for pharma R&D
- Headed up and built from ground level cross-functional data science, machine learning research, business consulting and clinical teams for strategic product development and clinical trials for top 20 pharmaceutical companies
- Led Covid-19 image classification and API development based on early diagnosis and cross-indication using data from Wuhan lab for accelerated treatment for high-risk patients
He has recently launched the Atomic Podcast that focuses on the Cambrian explosion of AI/machine learning at the intersection of healthcare, climate and deep tech https://www.youtube.com/@Atomic_Podcast
TO WATCH THE VIDEO INTERVIEW, CLICK ON THIS MP4 file link